Every year our church is encouraged toward a type of fast. Now fasting is refraining from food for a spiritual purpose! It is not a diet, or a popular health craze, it is a Biblical form of seeking God, and believing God for a breakthrough. Fasting is an act of Faith!
There are multiple types of fasts mentioned in the Bible. They include:
- Full Fast (no water or food)
- Liquid Fast (no food)
- Partial Fast (Refraining from certain foods)
- Interval Fast (fasting for part of the day, i.e., fasting during work hours, only having dinner)
Many of the prominent men and women of Scripture are mentioned in the Bible fasted. As they pursued and believe God for answer to prayer, individuals like Moses, David, Esther, Elijah, Peter, Paul and of course Jesus himself. One of these Old Testament figures who provides some insight into his fasts is the prophet Daniel.
It was Daniel who was fighting for his life as a young man in a hostile land, and refused to eat the King’s meat. It was Daniel who prayed to God for the interpretation of a dream and fasted (along with his fellow Israelites). It was Daniel who fasted when he received a dream that disturbed him so much that he went on a 21 Day partial fast for insight and meaning to the dream. Here are 2 such instances as recorded by Daniel, himself:
- Daniel 1:12, which states, “Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables [pulses] to eat and water to drink.”
- Daniel 10: 2-3, which says, “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.”
Each time Daniel or any of the others already mentioned fasted, it was for the purpose of a breakthrough. God was taking them to the next level, and the fast was a part of their preparation. Two groups of people I would like to briefly address:
- Those who have already started to fast: If you have already started to fast, and are struggling to complete it, you are in good company. Fasting is not easy, but this spiritual discipline will release God plans and purposes like nothing else. Don’t give up, you can make it. After the first 7 days, most of the strange bodily experiences (headaches, muscle aches, runny nose…) will have ceased.
- Those of you who are considering a fast: If you are not already fasting, and are considering if you should, let me assure you and encourage you… YOU CAN DO IT. Fasting, along with prayer, will take your life, your family, your career, and your health to the next level.
It is time to dethrone King Stomach, and re-Throne King Jesus! It is time to take your walk with the Lord to the next level. It is time to believe God for that BREAKTHROUGH that has worried you, or consumed your mind. It is time to activate your Faith and Fast!